Apple announced on Wednesday, September 7, 2016 launch of their new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. The phone will be available for pre-order from September 9 and generally available from September 16th. Below we’ll quickly see what is new in iPhone 7 and what are the improved features as compared to old models.
iPhone 7 new features
Below are some of the features which are completely new for an iPhone
- Waterproof Design
- New Home button
- A new High gloss jet black finish color (128GB and 256GB models only)
- 12 MP Dual Wide-angle and telephoto cameras with 2X optical zoom (iPhone 7 Plus model)
- Dual speakers offering stereo sound
- New EarPods with Lightning Connector (No more 3.5 mm jack, although there is an adapter in the box)
- AirPods which is new wireless ear pod from apple. Not included in the box.
- New A10 Fusion chip with 64-bit architecture (although this is more of an upgrade)
iPhone 7 improved features
Below are better and improved features over the previous models of iPhone
- Improved 12 MP camera with f/1.8 aperture, Optical image stabilization, Six‑element lens and Quad-LED True Tone flash.
- Improved battery with up to 2 hours longer battery life than iPhone 6s.
- iOS 10 operating system
- A10 Fusion chip processor with M10 motion coprocessor
- 7 MP FaceTime front camera with 1080p HD video recording, Retina flash, auto image stabilization, auto HDR, live photos etc.
- Assisted GPS
- Improved sound quality with louder output
- Lighter (iPhone 7 with 138 grams/4.87 ounces and iPhone 7 Plus with 188 grams/6.63 ounces)
- Optical zoom available in iPhone 7 Plus model.
Analysis of the features
With this iPhone Apple has definitely released some long-awaited features like waterproof design, stereo sound, dual camera etc but there is nothing which is truly sensational or innovative. In fact, most of these features were already predicted in our previous article and all over the internet. Even the look and feel seems to be same as iPhone 6/ 6 Plus which means almost same design for 3 years, including size. All features, including new ones in this iPhone have long existed with other phone manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Nokia etc. Stunning and appealing design which used to be Apple’s trademark does not seem to be distinguishing factor anymore. Just increasing the processing power and megapixels on the camera is working anymore, not for me at least.
What does this mean
This means a lot of things. First of all, either Apple is starting to become a predictable and regular phone brand or our expectations with Apple are too high now. Second, none of the features in new iPhone 7 / 7 Plus seem so attractive that they will be able to recapture the market Apple has lost to its competitors. However, the existing iPhone users(like myself) may not choose to switch to other phones yet, due to lack of any other better choices. But with other phone manufacturers introducing new technology everyday and android getting better and better, it might be difficult for apple to retain its current market share or capture new market.
I have been using iPhone since iPhone 5 and have used many other phones in past, so far my experience with iPhone has been best offering unparalleled coordination between hardware and software. I hope it continues !!!
Other questions this post should help answer
- iPhone 7 reviews
- iPhone 7 new features
- iPhone 7 improvements